Types of Childcare jobs
Are you looking for a childcare role, you are looking for a nanny job, a maternity nurse job, or to work in a crèche or nursery, then look no further. Spectacular Childcare offers different childcare roles and as a childcare agency, we can help you find your next job.

You might be looking for a permanent, temporary role or just a holiday job, as long as you have the necessary experience and/ or qualification, then we can help. We have different roles in childcare which includes:

•    Nanny ( live-in or Live Out)
•    Maternity Nanny
•    Maternity Nurse
•    Mothershelp
•    Housekeeper
•    Babysitter
•    Aupair
•    Doulas
•    Nursery Assistant
•    Play worker
•    Crèche Assistant etc

We have extensive request of childcare roles from our clients. So you can be rest assured to find the role you are looking.

Registering With Us
To register with us, send us your CV by clicking on the Job Enquiry Form and fill out the form and attach your CV. And if you have already registered your CV, please ensure you update your information regularly. Once you have sent us your CV, a consultant will call to discuss your CV with you and arrange a meeting with you.
You will be required to bring along a number of documents, certificates, ID and contact details. Your consultant will run through your career to date and get contact details of your previous employers, so that we can check references.
The interview is also a chance for you to tell us what you want from your next role. This will help us place you with the family or nursery school that best fits your requirement. You will also be required to complete a CRB (Criminal Records Bureau) check either before the interview or at a later time.
Once your registration and interview is done, your consultant will run possible job roles with you and can arrange to email you any roles that suits. Alternatively, you can browse our website for vacancies advertised.
How we work with you
Our Childcare team/consultants are there to help you at every stage of the recruitment process. If you have any enquiries or concern, please call the office to speak to your consultant.
When you have been placed in a job, your consultant will keep in touch to know how you are settling in. And help with any problems.
Registering With Ofsted.

You can apply to be on Ofsted Childcare Register which can take up to 12 weeks before it can be approved. If you get a job with a family that will want to redeem a childcare voucher for their childcare cost, then it will be necessary for you to be registered as vouchers can only be redeemed to a registered person. During the registration period it may be feasible to claim backdated vouchers; however the parent would need to contact the voucher scheme company or Tax Credit office to seek additional information as this is not always the case.

Most parents in this category (using vouchers) will need to see your registration certificate, so it is best the nanny Has it handy.

How Much does it cost to apply
There is a non refundable application fee to be paid by all applicants. The application fee (as at November 2008) is £103, which includes the cost of the Criminal Records Bureau (CRB) disclosure. An annual fee is charged each year to remain on the register, which is set by the Government. The annual fee (as at November 2008) is £103. For up to date information, please check the OFSTED website at

The Application fee includes
•    includes the CRB and verification service operated by the Post Office
•    Public Liability Insurance – ranges between £70 – £90
•    12 hour Pediatric First Aid – Approx £120 (unless the nanny already holds a valid               certificate)
•    ICP Course – approx £220 (if the nanny requires childcare training – this should be verified with OFSTED)
If the registration is for the Parent to be able to claim its voucher and tax credits, then it is the responsibility of the nanny to negotiate with the parent on meeting some part of the cost.

How to apply
The application can be done online, and must be done by the nanny herself. To do it online, visit, or by telephone 08456 404045, or request a form to complete in writing. Ofsted will write to the nanny to let him/her know that they have received the application. The letter will include details on how to:

•    Obtain an enhanced CRB disclosure through Ofsted (unless the nanny already holds a disclosure carried out by Ofsted within the past three years)
•    Get identity, the first aid qualification, insurance documentation and any other information Ofsted require checked. (Documentation is checked at the local post office)
Then include or Pay the non-refundable application fee and provide any other information necessary or required by OFSTED

Deciding Nanny’s Suitability
Ofsted will assess the nanny’s suitability by considering the information on the application form and CRB disclosure. Sometimes, Ofsted may require to interview the nanny in some cases . If the nanny has lived abroad in the past three years they should tell Ofsted of the countries they have lived in on the application form. The CRB has reciprocal arrangements with some countries that allow them to check on criminal history. Where there is no such arrangement, Ofsted will normally require the nanny to provide some extra evidence of suitability – this may include:

•    A certificate of good conduct from the embassy of the country, in which the nanny lived, accompanied where necessary by a certified translation into English
•    A reference from someone of standing in the country, in which the nanny lived, such as a doctor or lawyer
•    Evidence to support any work permit
•    References from past employers

Ofsted will contact the nanny if they need additional evidence. If the nanny is unable to supply sufficient evidence, Ofsted may have to refuse the nanny’s registration. Please note this may delay the process.

What qualifications does the nanny have to have?
This is not altogether clear from the information provided by OFSTED. It is therefore best for the nanny to call OFSTED and verify with them that her qualifications or experience are enough. If not, then the nanny will need to undergo training.

It is important to know that Ofsted can decide to refuse a nanny’s registration if she has been disqualified or lives with someone who has been disqualified, found unsuitable to be a childcarer, fails to pay the fee or does not agree to the requirements of the register. So it is important that the nanny fills in the form as accurate as possible to avoid delays in making decisions

If Ofsted refuses an application they will first write to the nanny and let him/her know of their intention. The nanny does have a right to object to the refusal and details of how to do this are usually enclosed with the letter.

If the nanny is refused registration parents will not be able to redeem part of the nanny’s salary against any employer-assisted voucher scheme or working tax credits.

However, A nanny can decide to withdraw their application at any time during the registration process up to the granting or refusing of registration but the application fee is not refundable. The nanny must inform Ofsted in writing if he/she decides to stop the registration process. If the nanny does not tell Ofsted that he/she wants to withdraw their application then Ofsted will continue the process and may have to refuse the nanny’s application for registration. Refusal of registration is a serious step which disqualifies the nanny from providing childcare in the future.

After registration?
A certificate is Issued once the nanny has been granted registration. This is a proof that the nanny is registered on the voluntary part of the Childcare Register and must show the certificate to parents on request. A replacement is available at a cost if the nanny looses the certificate.

Once registered, Ofsted may inspect the nanny at any time and will always inspect if a complaint is received about the childcare provision that relates to the requirements of registration or any conditions that may have been imposed on the registration. Ofsted will always seek permission from parents to enter the premises.

Following any inspection the nanny will either receive a letter confirming that he/she is meeting the requirements for registration or a letter detailing what must be done in order to remain registered.

Getting a Nanny insurance

There are two policies to choose from:

£3,000,000 Limit of Indemnity for an annual premium of £70 (including Insurance Premium Tax)
£5,000,000 Limit of Indemnity for an annual premium of £90 (including Insurance Premium Tax)

For Further information contact Nannyinsure on 0845 226 7329 or visit

Our Dedicated Spectacular Nursery team help Nursery schools find the best Nursery staffs.

Just as we cater for parents and individuals by providing them staffs and or carers, we do same for Nursery schools.

Our Nursery team supplies nurseries, crèches and playgroups with both their permanent and temp staff. We have a reputation in the industry for supplying the best quality nursery staff. And we are always on call whenever your need arises.
Who Do We Supply?
We supply to a whole range of childcare providers:

•    Private day nurseries
•    Pre-School Nurseries
•    Crèches
•    Playgroups    •    Children Centres
•    Sure start Nurseries
•    Holiday clubs
•    After school clubs
Do you need Permanent and/or Temp staffs for your school?
Whether you are a nursery looking for reliable and capable nursery staff for permanent vacancies, or if you need temp supply nursery staff, our Spectacular Nursery team can help.
How to get in Touch
Send us your requirements by filling in the Nursery Enquiry form, and one of our consultants will be in touch. Or alternatively, give us a call on 0845 4633 619.

We are also on call outside working hours up to 8pm just in case you didn’t get to arrange a cover on time. Call our on call consultant on 079859 710 572.

Working in a Nursery

Are you looking to work in a nursery setting? If you have the right qualification and experience and you are looking for a job in any childcare centre – nurseries, playgroups, crèches etc, then fill in the job enquiry form and send us your CV. Once we receive this, a consultant will be in touch to discuss possible positions with you.

Useful Information

Tax Responsibility/Payroll

As an employer in the UK, If you employ a nanny and you pay them more than £124.52 per week (tax year 2009/2010) you have the same legal responsibilities as a commercial employer and you are required by law to:

•    Register as an employer
•    Set up and operate a PAYE scheme on your employee’s behalf
•    Keep tax records on their behalf
•    Provide your employee with regular payslips
•    Provide them with an employment contract
•    Pay regular income tax and NI contributions
•    Pay employer’s NI contributions
•    File an employer’s annual tax return

This obligation applies even if you are employing someone for a short period of time, and to all employment taking place in the UK, irrespective of the country of origin of the nanny, or of the employer.

The National Insurance contribution is put towards your nanny’s statutory entitlements such as unemployment benefit, state pension and SMP. Not declaring their salary in full will affect their entitlements and more so it is illegal to do so.

Self-employment is not an option for nannies as they do not meet the HMRC criteria for self-employment. If liability to pay tax is not declared to HMRC, and this comes to light, then it is you, the employer, and not your nanny, who will be pursued for payment.

Payroll Calculator

For idea and information for payroll calculation, call and speak to one of our Consultant or alternatively visit

The National Minimum Wage (NMW) & the working time directive

It is a criminal offence to pay below the National Minimum Wage (except if exempted), this can carry a fine of up to £5,000.

National minimum wage – the three rates
There are three different national minimum wage rates, which are usually updated in October each year. The rates that apply from 1 October 2009 are as follows:
•    for workers aged 22 years or more: £5.80 per hour
•    for workers aged 18 to 21 inclusive: £4.83 per hour
•    for workers aged under 18 (but above compulsory school age): £3.57 per hour

Employees who live as part of the family household and are not provided with separate accommodation are excluded from the National Minimum Wage. There is an off-set allowance for employers who provide separate accommodation for their nannies. There is an offset allowance if you provide separate accommodation for your nanny, which will increase to £31.57 per 7-day week (2009) (Please note that the NMW and off-set allowance change every year in October. For the most up-to-date rates, please visit

Domestic employees, including nannies, are exempt from the measures concerning working hours but are entitled to a 20 minute rest break for every six hours worked.

Holiday entitlement: The European working time directive grants all employees the statutory right to a minimum of 5.6 weeks paid holiday a year (pro-rata the number of days worked per week) – 2009/2010.

For further information on tax responsibilities, please visit or contact Spectacular Childcare team on 0845 4633 619, or email us at

Childcare Vouchers and Tax Credits

Childcare Vouchers

Childcare vouchers are a simple, straightforward way to pay for quality childcare. It is a way in which employers can assist their employees with the costs of childcare. You don’t pay tax or National Insurance on childcare vouchers to the value of £55 a week – so working parents can save as much as £1,195 a year – double, if both parents sign up for a childcare voucher scheme.

How does the scheme work?
Your employer will normally sign up to a childcare voucher company and will pay that company an administration fee for their service. The voucher company will either supply you directly with your childcare vouchers or they will provide your employer with them, which they will distribute to staff accordingly. Employees in receipt of childcare vouchers may be able to use them to ‘pay’ their nanny or other registered forms of childcare. The nanny will then redeem the value of the voucher from the childcare voucher company, usually by direct payment into their bank account.

Can childcare vouchers save me money?
Childcare vouchers can be offered as a “salary sacrifice” to you or be paid in addition to your cash salary. If taken as a salary sacrifice, it means that you sacrifice a specific amount of your salary and instead receive that amount in childcare vouchers. Childcare vouchers are exempt from National Insurance Contributions (NIC), so you will only pay NIC on the reduced level of your salary, saving up to 11% on NIC. This saves money on childcare costs.

Where You can Use the Childcare Voucher
You can only use Childcare vouchers for registered or approved childcare costs. Your nanny will need to be Ofsted registered and be registered with a voucher company in order to reimburse the value of the vouchers they receive.

Child Tax Credit and Working Tax Credit

Child Tax Credit (CTC) is paid to Parents or people responsible for at least one child. It is paid by HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) .You can get CTC whether or not you’re working. You get money for each child who you’re responsible for. If you live with someone as a couple, you need to make a claim for CTC as a couple. Tax Credit supports those on lower incomes and working parents may be eligible for additional help towards registered childcare costs. The help you get depends on some factors – income, childcare cost, size of the family
etc. For more information on Tax Credits visit